Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Things you learn and do at work.

Yes, it's another rant on my work, which I've come to find extremely interesting at times. Our previous "training" manager has been promoted to a full manager at some cocked up place (Warehouse, if rumors hold. Note that deliveries for loads are ALWAYS late. No idea why.), and I met the new "assistant" manager at work today.

Initially, he was a very likable guy, but as I talked to him, I found my self parrying his questions and avoiding his hail of fire like a running duck.

It all probably started when I asked my boss whether I could reduce the price of a bottle of Ice coffee (since they are a popular choice due to their taste and size) even though the company policy states that I need to chuck it away. At that time, he was talking to the new assistant manager, who, while I still have yet to confirm, I can tell due to the actions of my boss, my 2nd IC and his actions.

My boss and 2nd IC just seem a little rigid, and the joke the new guy made caused forced laughter.

Once I was told to chuck it away (I took a swig later. Joys of working), I returned to the place I was refilling flavoured milk and continued my work.

Suddenly, he appeared right in front of me, introducing himself and saying he's the new assistant manager. All's fine, because I seriously can't be arsed to care who is my current manager. Pay me my money every week, and the Falcon remains happy.

However, as soon as he introduced himself, he said,

"I was taking over (removed)... (removed)... Er...", where (removed) is the name of the former assistant manager. He got the name right, but he forgot the sir name.

Alarm bells immediately rang. You don't rise to a manager's position without knowing who warmed the seat and left that desktop picture on your computer before sitting down.

So, while he continued to figure the name out, I joined in and faked what the name was. Obviously, I got most of the manager's names memorised on my very first day (this makes begging for shifts and work a lot more easier XD). When it was obvious that he was clearly seeing if I knew, was acting if I knew, or was simply plain ignorant, I "miraculously" recalled the sir name in the nick of time.

This was the only course of action which would work out to me still having a fun time in this job. You do NOT correct someone who just joined the crew and is sitting way above you in the ladder until you are certain that he is testing you. Correcting him immediately would make him look stupid, something he won't want, but not knowing the name would show that I was exercising clear ignorance.

Balance. Everyone hates fence sitters, but the ones on the fence don't get bitten by the dogs.

However, what he did next surprised even me.

Going to the milk fridge, he told me that he doesn't want leaked milk to accumulate on a tray which was built for such a purpose. Getting a mop to clean it every time there is a slight spill will mean precious time on other areas will be gone. We usually wait till it looks remotely disgusting and even that of a custard (boss said that if it isn't black, it's still fine) before we decide to take it out. In general, we just aren't the clean type, because we just don't have the bloody time.

When my colleague came along after his lunch break ended, he asked if I met the new assistant manager. After saying yes, he immediately said (in the comfort of the milk fridge which was very sound proof),

"He's a faggot".

Seems like I'm not the only one being peeved.

Ah well.

Another thing is some vote thing which is about to take place next month. It's about the new federal workplace agreement. I don't like it, since I enjoy the hours I am being paid. Aussie has this minimum wage rule, which is why I'm paid $12 an hour, with an increase to $14 in October (This may sound high, but, everything in Australia is much MORE expensive than it is in Singapore. It's like your house rising in value of $100k, but you are going to spend $100k extra to buy your new house anyway.).

However, what people are fearing is a loss of our penalty rates. Currently, I'm paid 150% if I work sundays and 250% if I work on public holidays. I've yet to be sure on this (The fact book issued to us is next to useless), and a lot of our data are only released a week before the vote to see if we agree to it or not.

Admittedly, losing our penalty rates will benefit society. The main reason why shopping centers are closed during Sundays and Public Holidays is due to the penalty rates. It just costs too much to hire someone. Of course, you can factor the culture in, but penalty rates is one reason why very few people are hired on that day at where I work. Without penalty rates, more businesses can stay open. More people will be employed. The society will have more money to spend as people will earn on Sundays and burn them off at the nearby shopping center within the next 48 hours.

In all, society benefits as people get more money to play with.

But...

As a student...

Surviving on the tiniest of margins every week...

I.

Don't.

Give.

A.

Damn.

Screw the society. Keep my penalty rates, increase my pay, give me more shifts which involves penalty rates, etc.

Seriously >_>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home